| · Image from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia
The largest and most populous continent or region is Asia. It covers 8.6% of the Earth’s total surface area, or 29.4% of its land area, and it contains more than 60% of the world’s population.
Most of the world’s Muslims live in Asia. After Indonesia (240,271,522 | 86.1% Muslim), India (1,156,897,766 | 13.4% Muslim), Pakistan (174,578,558 | 95% Muslim) and Bangladesh (156,050,883 | 83% Muslim) have the world’s highest Muslim populations. Islam spread to South Central and East Asia mostly through merchants and mystical Sufis.
External Links and Sources:
- Mapping the Global Muslim Population (Pew Research Forum)
- World Fact Book (CIA)
- Muslim Population Worldwide
- The Largest Muslim Communities
- Global Status of Evangelical Christianity Unengaged Unreached People Groups
- Unreached Ethnic People Group Listings (Joshua Project)
- and Wikipedia has several good links, maps and resources + World Religions: Britannica Book of the Year, ©2003
- Global Status of Evangelical Christianity Unengaged Unreached Muslim People Groups 100,000 or more (xls file saved via MS Excel, 380 kb)
- 2010 World Muslim Population compiled by Houssain Kettani at the Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities. 61 pages of interesting statistics on Muslim countries and the demographics of Muslim growth. (pdf, 788 kb)