| · 936,269,259 million people or about 14% of the world’s population live in 61 countries and territories throughout Africa.
Pray with us for these African countries. Muslims represent 41.3% of the population in Africa, growing at a rate of 2.5% per year (mainly as a result of having large families). Islam first spread from the Middle East to North Africa and then eventually towards the south. Islam is predominantly concentrated in North and Northeast Africa. For example, out of the 78 million people in the three nations of Northwest Africa (Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco), possibly only 50,000 are native believers in the Messiah. On our site you will see we have broken Africa down by region, Central (about 15 percent Muslim), East (about 29 percent Muslim), North (probably 89% Muslim), Southern (between 1 and 2 percent Muslim) and West Africa (about 54 percent Muslim).
Although we hear of many miracles and wonderful things happening in Africa there is also great persecution among many African Christians. As Gulf-oil dollars help spread Islam we hear of many believers who become secret believers. Families often disown members who turn to the Messiah, confiscating their possessions. In some cases there are brutal beatings and even deaths as the type of Islam coming into Africa gets more dogmatic and controlling.
You can also search our site for Muslim People Groups such as: Beja, Dioula, Fulani, Gorane, Gypsies, Harar, Juba Arabs, Kabyle, Lebou, Maba, Myab, Nubian, Saharawi, Saho, Songhai, Soninke, Souss Berbers, Teda, Toucouleur, Tuaregs, Tuareg in Sahara, Worodougou, Yao and so forth.
External Links and Sources:
- Mapping the Global Muslim Population (Pew Research Forum)
- World Fact Book (CIA)
- Muslim Population Worldwide
- The Largest Muslim Communities
- Global Status of Evangelical Christianity Unengaged Unreached People Groups
- Unreached Ethnic People Group Listings (Joshua Project)
- and Wikipedia has several good links, maps and resources + World Religions: Britannica Book of the Year, ©2003
- Global Status of Evangelical Christianity Unengaged Unreached Muslim People Groups 100,000 or more (xls file saved via MS Excel, 380 kb)
- 2010 World Muslim Population compiled by Houssain Kettani at the Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities. 61 pages of interesting statistics on Muslim countries and the demographics of Muslim growth. (pdf, 788 kb)